As a marketing aid for booksellers, each title in the Usborne catalogue is allocated a BIC CBMC (Children's Book Marketing Category) code.
The BIC code for each book is made up of five letters and digits, one for each of the following characteristics:
- INTEREST LEVEL – indicating the age range for which the book is intended.
- BROAD SUBJECT – indicating the broad subject area of the book.
- TYPE / FORMAT – indicating the physical format or special features of the book.
- CHARACTER – indicating whether the book features an established children’s character.
- TIE-IN – indicating whether the book is a film or TV tie-in edition.